Wednesday 16 February 2011

Rob Roy HDR

This time last year my brother and I took a trip to Glencoe in the Highlands of Scotland.

It would be the first time that either of us had visited the Highlands - not for fear of scary bearded men in kilts mind you.  Our route took west from Newcastle upon Tyne until we reached Carlisle and then north, crossing the border between England and Scotland at Gretna, Mecca for deluded lovers.  The next 175 miles would take us past Lockerbie, the outskirts (thankfully) of Glasgow, Loch Lomond and through the Trossachs until we reached our destination.

The weather conditions were spectacular and apparently, after talking to a colleague who has made in excess of thirty trips to the Glencoe area, rare for that area of the Highlands.  Lucky us...!

My brother and I generally tend to undertake trips such as these in typical male fashion.  We don't bother with maps or any other navigational devices and NEVER book anything ahead.  Our plan was to bed down by the side of a glen in our tent, campfire for cooking and warmth.

As we got closer and closer to Glencoe we saw mountains of ever increasing heights.  We stopped several times thinking that each view would be the best that we would see during our two-day excursion, only for each to be beaten by the next.

We arrived into Glencoe at approximately 1pm.  We were using the outing as an opportunity for my brother to learn more about photography - he had recently bought himself a Canon 400d and was keen to develop a DSLR album with his sights set on a commercial return.  I used the opportunity to get a better handle on HDR photography - or at least to try it and see what the fuss was about.  Most of the examples that I had seen online looked terribly overworked and fake - I still cannot understand the creative desire that produces such images.  So, whilst my bro headed off into the headland I set up my gear which was, at that time, a Canon 350d with an EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens.  Beginner's kit.

Here's what I got:

No comments:

Post a Comment